Higher educations is the foundation of every law career and careers in most other fields. Law firms across the country recognize the importance of ensuring bright students realize their potential by obtaining the education they need. To give back to the community and reduce the financial burden of college, firms offer scholarships to young, deserving students in need.
Who is Eligible for These Scholarships?
Scholarship eligibility varies from one firm to the next. Some firms only provide scholarships to law students, while others will provide funding to any student who meets their requirements.
With that said, there are some general student requirements that most firms have when creating scholarship programs, which include:
- Applicant must be a high school student or enrolled in college
- Applicant must be accepted to a college or university
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
Firms may have their own list of additional requirements that students must meet in order to be eligible. These requirements will be clearly listed in the scholarship program information.
How Can Students Enter to Win a Scholarship?
Entry to win a scholarship will also vary, depending on the program and firm. With that said, most programs require students to demonstrate their capabilities in some way.
The most common requirement is to have students write an essay. Essay writing allows students to demonstrate their critical thinking skills, research skills and ability to articulate an argument. Students also have the chance to express their point of view on topics they may be passionate about.
There are other types of scholarships as well, including athletic and memorial. Many firms have gotten creative with their scholarship contests, which can be fun for students.
Scholarships typically have a start and end date for submissions. Most scholarship contests last about a month before submissions close. It may take a few weeks or a month for firms to choose a winner.
Most firms have a digital form that allows students to participate with just a few clicks of a button. These scholarships are easy to enter and remove financial or transportation barriers that may prevent some students from entering via mail.
What Types of Scholarships are Offered?
While scholarship types will vary depending on the firm, most firms provide a cash prize which is submitted to the student’s registered school.
The funds obtained through the scholarship may only be used for tuition or school-related expenses.
Some firms may only have one grand prize, while others will choose two or three winners. Winners are typically hand-selected by the firm.
Who Benefits from These Scholarships?
Students are the most obvious beneficiary of these scholarships. Some firms have requirements to ensure that only students in need receive the funding, while others have open scholarships to all students who may wish to apply.
In addition to students, the community also benefits from these scholarships, as they help ensure that the next generation recieves the education they need for a brighter tomorrow. There are college students in every community in great need of financial assistance. The cost of tuition at most colleges and universities is out of reach for many families.
Through grants and scholarships, like those offered by law firms, bright and talented students can receive a higher education. The more scholarships a student can obtain, the less reliant they become on loans. Lower levels of student debt translates to educated adults entering the workforce with a significant advantage over their indebted peers.
Scholarship awards can vary greatly, but most firms offer generous prizes that have a significant impact on the student’s tuition burden.
Most firms hold scholarship contests annually, and the list of firms offering prizes is constantly growing.
Below is a listing of law-related scholarships. We did not include deadlines as most firms have recurring scholarships.
- AABA $5000 award Given to a person who best demonstrates a commitment to the Asian Pacific Community. Chicago resident preferred.
- Aaron J Boria $500
- Aaron Swartz Each year we plan to award at least $1,000 to the top essay related to law and activism. This award is open to all part-time and full-time law students. Based on submissions we will award up to three awards. This scholarship was established as a memorial to Aaron Schwartz and his dedication to activism and the boundaries he pushed.
- AarrowBailBonds.com College Scholarship
- Adoption Network Law Center Scholarship
- Advance Prevention Lawsuit Legal Scholarship
- Albertson & Davidson College Scholarship $2500
- Albo & Oblon Civil Justice Scholarship
- Annual College Scholarship Essay Contest
- Anton Family Law Scholarship
- Arizona DUI Team Educational Scholarship
- Ark Law Group – The Ark Law Group Fresh Start Scholarship Program is open to all college students in the United States. Ark Law Group will award one scholarship of $1,000 per year.
- Ascent Law Scholarship
- Bachus & Schanker, LLC Scholarship
- Bankruptcy Law Center Scholarship
- The Bellotti Law Group, P.C. Scholarship
- Bohn & Fletcher Scholarship
- Boling Rice Cumming Scholarship
- Boling Rice Scholarship
- The Boonswang Law Firm Legal Leaders Scholarship
- Boyko & Associates Law Firm Scholarship $1000
- Brian Ziegler Scholarship
- Brennan Law Scholarship
- BRUNO│NALU Civil Justice Scholarship
- Bud Siegfried Scholarship
- Budge & Heipt Scholarship
- Julie Butcher Legal Scholarship
- Cantor Crane Victims Attorney Student Scholarship
- Carpenter, Zuckerman and Rowley, LLP Scholarship
- Charles J. Argento and Associates Scholarship (for students majoring in pre-law)
- Center for Alcohol Policy Essay Contest
- Christopher W. Keyser Undergraduate Scholarship
- $750 Cluff Law Car Accident Scholarship –
- $2,000 Colwell Law Group Single Parent Scholarship
- Cores & Associates, LLC National Scholarship – $1000
- CPW Law Legal Scholarship
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Academic Award
- Dolman Law Group $1100 College Scholarship Video Essay Contest
- David Elden College Scholarship
- Drake Law Firm Superhero Scholarship
- DREAM Act Scholarship
- Dwyer Williams Dretke Attorneys student scholarship program page.
- Enjuris Scholarship
- Fabriele Disability Awareness Scholarship
- Farar & Lewis LLP
- Fischer and Van Thiel, LLP Scholarship (for students majoring in pre-law)
- Florida Law Group Scholarship
- Fountain Law Firm Scholarship
- Gagne, Scherer & Associates Scholarship
- Gillespie, Shields, Durrant & Goldfarb Law Scholarship
- Goodwin & Scieszka Innovation Scholarship
- Gurovich, Berk & Associates, APC Scholarship (for students majoring in pre-law)
- Harry Stone Memorial Scholarship
- Hackard Law Academic Scholarship
- Hasner Law $2,000 Scholarship
- Herrman and Herrman Innovation Scholarship
- Robert Hamparyan Injury Scholarship
- Hasner Law Scholarship
- Holliday Karatinos Law Firm Scholarship – $2500
- InjuredGo.com Personal Injury Scholarship
- JacksonWhite Family Law Semi-Annual Scholarship
- JacksonWhite Criminal Law Bi-Annual Scholarship
- JacksonWhite Personal Injury Semi-Annual Scholarship
- LSAT Scholarship – Johnston Law $1000 award to help cover costs in LSAT Preparation
- Jon Friedman Scholarship (for students majoring in pre-law)
- Joseph J. LoRusso College Scholarship Essay Contest
- KaplunMarx Scholarship
- Keller Resiliency Scholarship for Higher Education
- Kelly & Soto Law Scholarship
- Kenneth P. Carp College Scholarship
- Kestenbaum Law Group Scholarship
- The Law Office of Daniel Lazarine Criminal Attorney Scholarship – $750
- The Law Firm for Family Law Scholarship (for students majoring in pre-law)
- Law Marketing Scholarship
- Law Offices of Anthony J. Vecchio Scholarship – $1000
- The Law Office of David E. Gordon
Scholarship Essay & Video Contest – $1000
- Law Offices of Brian D. Sloan Educational Scholarship
- Law Offices of David Michael Cantor
- The Law Offices of Joel J. Kofsky Scholarship
- The Law Office of Louis J. Goodman Scholarship
- Law Offices of Randolph Rice
- Law Offices of Frederick L. Sosinky Annual Scholarship
- The Levin Firm $1000 Scholarship
- Layfield & Barrett Scholarship
- Legal Studies Scholarship
- Legal Templates Annual Scholarship
- Lexington Abogado
- Lindquist Wood Edwards Annual Scholarship
- Los Angeles Immigration Lawyers Scholarship
- Magna Carta Scholarship
- The May Firm Semi-Annual Scholarship Fund
- McCormack & Erlich Employment Law Firm Scholarship
- Medler Law Firm Scholarship
- Meldon Law Scholarship
- Milwaukee Personal Injury Lawyer Group Scholarship
- $500 Mitchell & Crunk Adoption Scholarship –
- Monder Law Group Scholarship
- Monmouth County Criminal Defense Scholarship
- The Naegle Law Firm Scholarship
- Neal Davis Law Scholarship Essay Contest
- Nicholas Wooldridge Annual Scholarship
- The Peak Law Firm
- $2,000 Peck Law Firm Scholarship
- Price Benowitz Social Justice Scholarship
- Prenuptial Agreements Scholarship Essay Program
- Pre-Law Family Advocates
- Injury Scholarship (Reyna Injury Lawyers)
- Reiff & Bily Legal Scholarship $1000
- Reiter & Walsh Birth Injury “Caring for Life” Scholarship
- Robinson and Associates Scholarship
- Roscoe Trimmier Jr Diversity Scholarship Five $5000 awards to 2nd year law students as well as paid summer associate position. Awarded to applicants who best exemplify the accomplishment, leadership and dedication that were the hallmarks of Mr. Trimmier’s life, and who are members of populations historically underrepresented in the legal profession.
- Ruhmann Law Firm Scholarship (for students majoring in pre-law)
- Rybak Firm Scholarship
- Sabbeth Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship
- Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard Scholarship Video Contest – $750
- Schechter, McElwee, Shaffer & Harris Scholarship
- Shawn Sukumar Criminal Justice Reform Scholarship
- Skinner Law Firm $1,000 Scholarship
- SMSH Legal Outside Scholarship
- $1,000 Stewart J Guss College Scholarship –
- Stroble Law Bi-Yearly College Scholarship
- Sutliff & Stout Law School Scholarship Contest
- Swope, Rodante Scholarship for Philanthropic Efforts Semi-Annual Scholarship with a $2500 top prize
- TENGE LAW FIRM SCHOLARSHIP
- Thomas L. Dickson College Scholarship
- $1,000 Thomas Law Offices Scholarship
- Tragos Write Your Own Law Scholarship
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- UpCounsel’s Law School Scholarship
- USAttorneys.com Immigration Scholarship Essay Contest
- USAttorneys.com National Scholarship Essay Contest
- Ward Law Group Better Future Scholarship
- Weisblatt Law Firm Scholarship
- Zavodnick & Zavodnick, LLP Scholarship
- Zinda & Davis Scholarship
- Zeiger Firm College Scholarship
- Zelle Diversity Outreach Zelle’s Diversity Outreach Plan offers several related scholarships
If you know of a law related scholarship that should be added to the list email us at tips @ legalscoops.com