A string of dog food recalls has caused a major headache for pet owners over the last month. Three more big-name dog food brands have recalled a variety of products, including raw food and all-in-one meals, over concerns of E. coli, salmonella and Listeria contamination.
J.M. Smucker Company, Darwin’s Natural Pet Products and Blue Ridge Beef are the three companies recalling their pet food products.
J.M. Smucker is pulling Milo’s Kitchen products from store shelves due to fear of “elevated levels of beef thyroid hormone,” which can cause agitation and weight loss. The following Milo’s Kitchen products are part of the recall notice:
- Steak Grillers/Steak Grillers Recipe with Angus Steak; 18oz, 22oz. And 10 oz. bags; best if used by dates of 11/15/2018 and 4/26/2018
- Grilled Burger Bites with Sweet Potato and Bacon; 15 oz. bags; best if used by date of 11/19/2018
Blue Ridge Beef has also recalled its Complete raw pet food due to Listeria and Salmonella contamination. Consumption of contaminated food can be fatal and cause a number of symptoms as the bacteria travels through the pet’s digestive tract.
The company is recalling its BRB Complete product, Lot #GA0131 with a manufacturing date of 01/31/2018. The Complete food product is sold in sealed, two-pound tubes.
Thus far, there have been no reports of pet illnesses from consumers. Listeria and Salmonella can both cause potentially fatal infections in dogs.
Several products from Darwin’s Natural Pet Products have also been recalled due to E. coli and salmonella contamination. Symptoms of infection can include fever, vomiting, diarrhea and cramping.
Darwin’s Natural Pet Products is recalling the following products:
- Natural Selections Duck w/Organic Vegetables (dogs); 2lb; Lot#44147; manufactured 2/5/2018
- Natural Selections Chicken w/Organic Vegetables (dogs); 2lbs; Lot#43887; manufactured 1/30/2018
- ZooLogics Turkey w/Organic Vegetables (dogs); 2lbs; Lot#44127; manufactured 2/4/2018
- ZooLogics Chicken Meals w/Organic Vegetables (dogs); 2lbs; Lot#44037; manufactured 2/7/2018