After an auto accident, it is natural to feel shell-shocked and unsure about your next move. Seeking the help of a car accident lawyer is the best way to ensure that the procedures of a wreck are followed properly for insurance purposes, especially if the other party was at fault.
A lawyer can also assist if the case is not clear-cut and if you are offered a lower settlement than you deserve. Not only will the intervention of a lawyer ensure a faster process, but your legal advisor can also correctly work out the amount you should be reimbursed for any injuries and your medical expenses.
Things to do just after the accident
- Stay calm.
- Call the police and provide the location of the accident.
- Advise them if any medical help is required.
- If the vehicle is not heavily damaged, move it to a safe location with less traffic.
- Contact your vehicle insurance agent for information about the claims process.
- Record the facts about the accident.
- Take note of the license plate numbers, make and model of the vehicles.
- Describe the damage to each vehicle.
- If you can, take photos of the vehicles.
- Get the names and contact information of the other drivers.
- Exchange insurance information with the other drivers.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses, including passersby and passengers from the vehicles involved.
- Make a note of any property damage caused by the accident.
- Under no circumstance must you admit fault, even if you caused the accident, state the facts.
Find the right car accident lawyer as soon as possible
From the minute you are involved in an accident, the insurance companies immediately begin evaluating your claim. Their team of lawyers does this. Therefore, you cannot afford to go up against the insurance company on your own because they can afford thousands in legal fees for each case, whereas you can’t. Therefore, the sooner you hire a car accident lawyer, the better.
Your first thought should be to hire an experienced car accident lawyer, so look for someone with a good reputation in this specific area of personal injury law. You will be working together for a while until your case is settled, so make sure the lawyer you choose is good at communication. The lawyers should also provide references, show an interest in your case by asking detailed questions and understand your legal goals.
Additionally, most car accident lawyers do not charge a fee for the initial consultation unless they provide legal advice.
Understand their fee structure
In most cases, personal injury lawyers do not charge a fee unless they win your case. Some lawyers require an up-front fee before opening your case, but plenty of lawyers don’t need an out-of-pocket fee. Instead, they collect their service fee once the case is concluded and you earn your settlement. Discuss these details before hiring the lawyer for your accident claim, and do ask for a service contract in which the percentage to be paid is stated.
All the accident information is relevant
As mentioned earlier, there is a lot of information you need to collect after an accident. This information is vital to the success of your claim. Everything concerning the accident, including photos, police reports, eyewitness accounts, contact information, and vehicle insurance policy, must be brought to your first meeting with a lawyer. Also, bring your medical records and medical bills for any injuries resulting from the accident.
Depending on the accident’s circumstances, the settlement can take anything from a few weeks to a few years. Your accident attorney will start working on the accident case immediately, but these car accident claims involve a team of people. Make sure to respond to calls from your lawyer and maintain all appointments. If your case goes to court, make sure to appear. Be respectful to the judge and make sure you are presentable.